When visiting Lengishu it’s always useful to consider that although our home is right on the equator, at 6,000ftt the weather can be colder than expected. Daily temperatures are around 24C but can get down to 15C-ish at nightwhen the wind blows and can be chilly in the shade.
The sun is incredibly fierce at this altitude so good high factor sun cream is essential ….and GOOD quality sunglasses, preferrably polarised. While exploring Borana Conservancy, our vehicles are open-sided, so morning and evening game drives can be quite bracing, “layers” are the way to go!
Lengishu provides guests with their own Lengishu aluminium water bottle and blankets for those breezy evenings. Packing toiletries can also be a ‘weighted’ problem so Lengishu supplies local products and essential oils made by the in-house team. To lighten your packing further, Lengishu offers a laundry service for those dusty game drive clothes ready to be used again.
Due to the varying weather, it is common to get confused about what exactly to pack, so we have pulled together the perfect packing list that will start the holiday at peace before even arriving at Lengishu:
- Fleece or down jacket
- Fleece or down waistcoat/vest
- Scarf or pashmina
- Wide brimmed hat or cap
- Decent walking trainers (you can take part in guided wildlife walks)
- Shorts (although it is only really hot during middle day)
- Long sleeve T-shirts
- Long sleeve shirts (with a collar for sun protection!)
- Couple of jerseys/cardi’s
- Light shoes and/or flip flops
- Swimsuit, beach wraps/sarongs (we provide pool towels)
- Gym kit (if you are that way inclined)
- Informal clothes for evening. We have fires indoors, but sundowners can be cool!
- If you are planning to ride, hats and chaps of various vintages(!) can be borrowed from
- the stable at Borana or please bring riding shoes, ideally with a heel.
- High Factor Sun Protection cream
- Insect repellent
- Binoculars for bird/game watching
- Small bag/backpack for bits and bobs on game drives
- We provide hair dryers. Our solar power system does not like jumbo jet dryers ……please! (Our electrics for chargers etc. are 240V UK type plugs.)
- Medication – though things can be sourced it’s important to note that pharmacies are few and far between so it’s very key to make sure all medication needed is packed!
- We suggest that your clothes be khaki or safari coloured, linen and cotton are great beathable fabrics. Please avoid camo print.
Even though Lengishu is remote, the team will make sure your stay is as complete as possible. Though some medications can’t be sourced, everyone at Lengishu will try to provide anything that might be forgotten in order to make your stay as relaxed and as stress free as possible.